Applicants must live in Market Harborough, Great Bowden or Little Bowden.
Apply by email to email@example.com with:
• Name, address, telephone number
• Letter or email from your employer confirming redundancy or reduced wages due to corona virus
• Name of your bank, Name of your account, Sort code and Account number.
Grants available to first 50 applicants.
What do we do?
The Howard Watson Symington Memorial Charity has money to give to local groups and individuals who need help or who are sick, and to support welfare, leisure and education.
The exact constitution is as follows:
The objects of the Charity are to further such charitable purposes for the general benefit of the inhabitants in the area of benefit in one or more of the following ways, or in such ways as the trustees see fit:
- in relieving persons who are in need, hardship or distress;
- in relieving persons who are sick;
- in providing and supporting with the object of improving the conditions of life for the said inhabitants in the interests of social welfare, facilities for recreation and other leisure time occupation;
- in providing and supporting educational facilities.
THE “AREA OF BENEFIT” MEANS MARKET HARBOROUGH, GREAT BOWDEN AND LITTLE BOWDEN. GRANTS CAN ONLY BE MADE TO APPLICANTS FROM THIS AREA.
The Charity is run by a small group of volunteer trustees who meet every couple of months to consider applications. They must check that the applicant is from the area of benefit, judge how well the charity’s objects would be met if they make a grant, and then how much to give considering other applications and the funds available.
You can see who the trustees are here.
The Charity is an endowed charity. This means that it has a pot of money to invest and whilst it is not allowed to spend the pot, it can spend the income. The pot is worth about £2.3 million and each year the trustees expect to have approximately £70,000 to give away.
Our application form is available here.
The trustees are able to make grants to a wide selection of applicants. If you want to see if your project might qualify, why not visit our News pages to read about some recent grants. Also, our Administration pages include the minutes of the trustees’ meetings which contain more details about applications that have been approved or declined.